Ensuring the safety and security of our homes is of utmost importance. While modern technology has improved security systems, the expertise and skill of professional locksmiths remain essential in maintaining the protection of our properties.
They can also give great advice just when you need it.
Homeowners in Essex, as in many other places, face a range of security issues. These cover everything from broken keys and malfunctioning locks to more serious break-ins and burglary attempts. Here the team at LockOut 247 have put together some of the things we can help you with to help you stay secure.
Upgrading Older Door Locks
Essex locksmiths offer advice on a variety of high-security locks to cater to the diverse needs of homeowners. Some of the most popular types include deadbolts, mortise, electronic and, more often nowadays, smart locks. Modern doors also come with added security features such as reinforced strike plates, anti-drilling components and pick-resistant mechanisms.
There are several benefits of upgrading your older door to something more modern:
- Firstly, it should be a stronger deterrent against burglaries and break-ins, giving you peace of mind knowing that your home is well-protected.
- Secondly, new high-security locks often have a longer lifespan than standard locks, meaning they are a cost-effective investment in the long run.
- Lastly, many insurance companies offer discounts on premiums for homes equipped with high-security locks, further enhancing their value proposition.
Getting Expert Advice
Whether you have a uPVC door or something more traditional, perhaps made from wood, it’s important to assess what kind of lock you need to upgrade your security. At LockOut247, we probably know more than anyone else everything there is to know about the latest uPVC locks and how they are fitted. Factors we will consider include:
- Compatibility: It’s critical to ensure that the lock you choose is compatible with your door type and thickness.
- Security rating: The quality of the lock is also important as you might expect. That means it has been independently tested and certified for security and durability.
- Ease of use: Choosing a lock that is user-friendly and can be easily operated by all family members is another consideration.
Of course, installation is also vital. It can be tempting to try DIY here to save a bit of money. This is generally a false economy. We suggest that you entrust the installation to a reputable Essex locksmith to ensure the lock functions optimally and provides maximum security.
Emergency Lockout Services
It isn’t just the standard of lock you need to consider. Lost or broken keys, broken locks and other problems can occur out of the blue. Getting locked out of your home is a frustrating and inconvenient experience, especially if it occurs during odd hours or in adverse weather conditions.
Having a reliable locksmith on call for emergency lockout services can be a lifesaver in such situations. Essex locksmiths provide prompt, professional, and efficient assistance, ensuring that you regain access to your home with minimal disruption and damage to your property and without having to wait too long.
At LockOut 247, we’re well-equipped to handle various lockout scenarios, from lost keys and broken locks to jammed doors and malfunctioning smart locks. Upon receiving a call, one of our skilled locksmiths will arrive at your location as quickly as possible, assess the situation, and determine the most effective method for unlocking your door. Where we can, we’ll employ non-destructive techniques, such as lock picking and bypassing, to minimize damage to your door and lock while resolving the issue.
While emergency lockout services are invaluable during times of crisis, it’s essential to take some precautionary measures to prevent lockouts from occurring in the first place:
- Spare keys: Many people keep a spare key with a trusted friend, neighbour or family member who lives nearby.
- Key maintenance: You should always replace worn-out or bent keys before they break or become unusable.
- Lock maintenance: It’s a good idea to inspect your locks and door hardware for signs of wear and tear every so often. Prevention is always far better than the cure, at least in terms of cost.
Moving House in Essex
Many people when they have exchanged keys for a new property and just moved in want to ensure their security by changing the locks. Of course, you can opt to put in a whole new door or windows but it’s much easier to get a locksmith to provide replacement locks. This can usually be done fairly quickly and gives you that extra peace of mind you want in your new home.
Repairing and Replacing Damaged Locks
Locks get damaged due to various reasons, including wear and tear, following forced entry attempts, when a key breaks or everyday environmental factors like rust and corrosion. Damaged locks not only compromise your home’s security but can also cause difficulties in operating the lock, leading to a whole host of problems.
When faced with a damaged lock, it’s essential to consult a professional locksmith to assess the extent of the damage and determine the most appropriate course of action. Under no circumstances should you try to fix it yourself. The team at LockOut 247 possess the necessary skills and tools to repair or replace damaged locks effectively. They can:
- Extract broken keys from the lock without causing further damage
- Repair or replace damaged lock components, such as cylinders, latches or deadbolts
- Install new locks if the damage is beyond repair or if an upgrade is deemed necessary for improved security
- Provide guidance on proper lock maintenance to prevent future damage
You may not need an Essex locksmith perhaps more than once or twice during your lifetime, if at all. But it’s comforting to know that you have their number on speed dial if a problem arises.